What's a Muleskinner, anyway?

My name is Deke Dickerson. I'm a full-time musician, with lots of interests. One of those interests is writing. I write for guitar magazines such as Guitar Player, Fretboard Journal, and Vintage Guitar. I also write music articles, liner notes, and books that accompany box sets.

Once, a long time ago, I thought it was weird to have your own web site. Then, I thought that myspace and Facebook were immature (turns out I was right about that one, but I'm on them anyway). When I heard the word "blog," I decried I would never have one. And yet, here I am. Enjoy...

Friday, April 20, 2012

Bigsby Files and a new book in the works...

Sorry folks, it's been quite a while since I posted anything here on the Muleskinner blog.  I've been busier than ever!


I haven't been resting on my laurels, though.  I created a new blog about Bigsby guitars that took a lot of my brain space away for a spell.  Check it out at www.bigsbyfiles.blogspot.com


Also, I have a book deal with Voyageur Press for an upcoming book of Guitarcheology called "The Strat Under The Bed."  I've been surgically attached to my laptop trying to compile the best guitar stories for a really fun book on the art of digging up old guitars.  I can't post those stories here, because they're paying me to write a book, but look for it soon at a local bookstore--Voyageur gets their stuff everywhere.


More fun Muleskinner musings when I get the time....

12 comments:

  1. Thanks for the heads up, from one of your faithful blog readers. The Bigsby File is epic- I'm not even that into guitar geekiness, but your enthusiasm is infectious & engaging. I spent two nights reading it in all it's Gigameshian majesty!

    Rock on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Say ... I know this isn't probably the right place to get in touch with you, but I have a question that you may be able to answer. If not, well I'm simply just as in-the-dark as I was! Here goes: In a few older country songs (A-11, Little Ole Wine Drinker Me, others?) they mention "matching" for the jukebox. Am I hearing it wrong? Was/Is it some sort of thing to find out who pays - like a game? Do you have light to shed?

    That aside, I sure like your blog and your music and your posts on Facebook, too.

    -Todd

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Todd--I apologize for the late response, but I've been ignoring my blog for nearly a year! I do have an answer for you, if you are still wondering about "matching" for the juke box.

      Back in the old days, to encourage people to spend money on the jukebox, the bartender would "match" you for the jukebox, meaning that if you put in a dollar, they'd put in a dollar. Essentially you'd be getting a "two for one" special.

      Not sure when "matching for the jukebox" went out of vogue but it's something that's just not done anymore. Hope that helps!

      Deke

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Deke. There was another answer given a little further down the page here. I appreciate them both!

      Delete
  3. "Matching" is a simple game. Two people flip a coin (usually a quarter) into the air. If both of them come back down 'matching sides' (either both 'heads' or both 'tails' of the coin), then they "Match", and the winner is the person who initiated the game. If one coin is different than the other (on 'head' and one 'tail') then the opponent wins. According to the song, the loser must put their quarter into the jukebox to hear the next song.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such an interesting post! I heard about this game but I want to try it. There are people who are looking for a company that provides an accessibility to wealth management and they found out that the financial planning columbia sc is one of the best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am publishing book in www.myinkbooks.com need any recent books or publish contract us freely. I am looking to Self publishing, Publishing company, Self Publish, publishing companies etc.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,

    Thanks for being sharing this quality based information. It's put a great impact among the reader. All the parts are beautifully executive. If you want to know about some Cheap Electric Guitar, then visit to us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Re. "matching", Anonymous (2015) is correct, but there' an important part he left out. At the bar, the bartender had a supply of quarters that had red nail-polish on them. If he lost the match, that coin would be used. When the attendant came to empty the juke box, he'd give the red-painted quarters back to the bar.

    ReplyDelete